So I thought this would be the perfect project to try out my new sprayer on and, I’m telling you, friends…LIFE CHANGING. I mean, I’ll be honest, there is a learning curve to spray painting. There were some spots that I got a little too much paint and spots I didn’t quite get enough the first couple coats. But, even with my amateur skills, this still saved me hours of time and looked WAY better than if I had brush painted.
Doing fine. I don't expect the pocket screws to fail or loosen over a typical period of time. They make a very solid joint especially if you also glue the joint. Compared to mortise and tenon a pocket screw will fail sooner under severe stress, however they are easier to repair than M&T which blow out. So I expect long use from this table unless a bunch of heavy people start dancing on it and the old wood will probably break first.
To inset the aprons 3/4" from the outer surface of the legs I made a spacer from 2 pieces of plywood. This little jig made it easy to keep the distances uniform and also secure the apron to the leg while fastening. Pic 3 illustrates how the jig, apron and leg are clamped together for fastening. Each apron end is held by three 2 1/2" pocket screws. The pocket holes were made using a Kreg pocket hole jig. I assembled the short ends first and then the rest of the table base making sure the kerf (for clips) was along the top edge. Since this is a long table I also added a cross piece in the middle of the table using pocket screws.